We are all tempted to take a bite when we see a yummy chocolate cake in front of us. However, we also know that a chocolate cake contains a lot of sugar that can make us gain weight and also, for diabetics, they know very well that they are not allowed to have a bite. This should not stop you because there is a diabetic chocolate cake that you can go for.
A diabetic chocolate cake is very ideal for people who have diabetes and for those who are on a diet yet craving for something sweet. This is much safer and healthier to eat instead of eating regular chocolate cake loaded with sugar. The best thing about this is it is very delicious. You won’t notice the difference because most of the time, such cake is even more delicious than the regular one.
Aside from this, you can also make your own diabetic chocolate cake because there are a lot of recipes out there. Here is one diabetic chocolate cake recipe that is very easy to follow and perfect for beginners:
- ½ cup Dutch process cocoa
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tsp. Instant espresso powder
- 1/8 tsp. Salt
- pinch pepper
- ¾ cup fat-free milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 oz. Unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 oz. Semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 tsp. Cream or tartar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2-3 tsp. Margarine, softened
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tbsp. Dutch process cocoa (for the frosting)
- ½ tsp. Vanilla
- 2-3 tsbp. Fat free milk
- Combine the cocoa, brown sugar, flour, espresso powderm salt and pepper in a medium saucepan.
- Stir the milk and vanilla gradually and mix them both.
- Heat over medium heat, stir frequently until the mixture is hot and the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat
- Add chocolate, still until melted.
- Whist ½ cup chocolate mixture into egg and whisk egg mixture back in the saucepan. Cool it to room temperature.
- Beat the egg whites until they are foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and beat it to soft peaks.
- Gradually add sugar until stiff but not dry.
- Stir ¼ of the egg whites into cooled chocolate mixture and fold it into the remaining egg whites.
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease the bottom and sides of 9-inch round cake pane; line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
- Pour the batter into pan and place it in a large roasting pan on the center of the oven rank.
- Add an inch of hot water to roasting pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- For the frosting, mix the margarine, confectioner’s sugar, cocoal and vanilla with milk to make a thin spreadable consistency.
See, it’s easy to do your own diabetic chocolate cake. Serve it during dinner as a dessert. Your kids can eat this too and it will be very healthy!