A ketogenic diet is very similar to the Atkins diet wherein the food should be high in fat, low in carbohydrates and full of protein. Furthermore, a ketogenic diet meal plan can be used to treat uncontrollable epilepsy in children. Instead of supplying the body with energy, it will be forced to burn off fats. This article will attempt to give you a general idea of the food items preferred by those who are on this meal plan.
What are the types of food that you should consume if you are on a ketogenic diet meal plan?
- Dairy products
- Egg yolks
- Nut varieties
- Extra virgin olive oils
Here is an example of a ketogenic diet meal plan:
- 2 eggs, two rashers of bacon and one cooked tomato
- Beef burger wrapped in lettuce
- Green beans, mushrooms and red peppers fried in flaxseed oil with a salmon steak
- Unlimited yogurt and full-fat milk. Matchbox size of cheese. Strawberries and cream, peanut butter.
If you are on a ketogenic diet meal plan, you should keep in mind the foods to avoid:
- Starchy fruits and vegetables
- Sweet potatoes
- Salad dressings
If you’re very interested in the ketogenic diet meal plan but want to know more about it, here are the pros and cons of the diet itself.
- It is proven to be very effective for children who have refractory epilepsy.
- Your body will turn into ketosis. Ketosis means that your body will use your fats as fuel instead of the carbohydrates.
- The ketogenic diet is effective to use short term.
- Consuming foods that are high in fat can cause a lot of problems like high cholesterol and hypertension.
- Your breath will start to smell foul over time.
- The ketogenic diet is limited. There are a lot of beneficial fruits and vegetables that you should avoid because of their starch content.
- Vitamins and minerals deficiency.
Normally, children go through this kind of diet because of medical conditions. In addition, people who are trying to lose weight try the ketogenic diet to see if it will make them lose more weight.
Hopefully, this article has provided you with the information you need on a ketogenic diet meal plan.