Does your dog need a low protein dog food? Well, this kind of food has a lower protein content compared to regular dog food. It is not really recommended to put your pet in this kind of diet unless prescribed by a veterinarian. Keep in mind that dogs require more protein in their diets.
Things that you should know about low protein dog food:
- This type of diet is to be given only to dogs that are suffering from an acute health problem and not due to age. Dogs that have acute or chronic kidney failure, congenital or genetic kidney issues, kidney failure due to diseases caused by parasites, urinal stones and congenital heart failure are encouraged to take low protein dog food.
- Proteins produce a lot of toxins. When the kidneys are not working correctly, the body will be unable to get rid of these toxins and the levels could become alarmingly high within the dog’s body. To prevent this from happening, one should reduce the amount of protein in the dog’s diet, and that is the need for a low protein dog food.
- Dog owners face difficulties when their dogs are placed in this diet because dogs usually dislike the taste. This is because the dog got used to commercial pet foods. The flavor is not as tasty when there is only a low amount of protein present.
- The diet has the ability to limit the amount of Uremic toxins produced. Uremic toxins are the byproducts that are created when the kidneys are functioning normally. For normal dogs, these are excreted when they urinate. But if the dog has kidney problems, they won’t be able to get rid of these substances easily. That is why there is the need for this type of dog food for overall protection of these toxins.
- This can also reduce nausea. When uremic toxins build up in the body, the dog will develop feelings of fatigue and nausea. A dog who is in a low protein diet can prevent this from happening.
- The diet only has little amount of phosphorus.
These are some of the things that you should know when it comes to low protein dog food. Keep in mind that this isn’t necessary to all dogs unless they have a medical condition. Before you put your dog in this diet, make sure that you consult a veterinarian first. If you have puppies, make sure that he or she is perfectly healthy so you can get your puppy the best puppy food if the puppy has a medical condition.