Just like any other knives, a serrated knife will get dull too. Serrated knives require a different sharpener. There are a lot of serrated knife sharpeners that can easily be bought in the market today. So, how to sharpen a serrated knife?
Here is a step by step guide on how to sharpen a serrated knife:
- What you will need: a serrated knife sharpener, water or lubricant.
- The hone should be perpendicular to the cutting edge of the knife. Do a back and forth motion in each serration and exert a firm pressure while doing this.
- Once you’re done sharpening a serration, stop and feel the backside of the knife. If you feel a burr, you can now move on to the next serration.
- Do steps 2 and 3 over and over again until you have completed the serrations in the knife.
- Once done sharpening the serrations, turn the knife over.
- The burrs of the knife should be grinded in the hone.
How to sharpen serrated knives is pretty easy, but remember that you should sharpen each serration individually. However, you should also be careful when sharpening these serrated knives, since you will be using both hands it is best that you are in a location where you cannot be distracted and there are no children around. This is to avoid injuries or any other incidents that can occur during the serrated knife sharpening.
Never touch the blade when you are sharpening because you just might press on it too hard and a wound will most likely to occur. Serrated knives and the serrated knife sharpener should be well-kept and should be in a place where children will find it impossible to reach. Serrated knife sharpeners are pointy, so don’t leave it lying down anywhere especially if you have children at home.
How to sharpen a serrated knife is, as I’ve said, pretty easy but if you don’t want to do it yourself, you might want to check your local supermarkets because you can get an expert assistance when it comes to sharpening your serrated knife. These experts visit different stores several times a year. So you might want to keep track of that or take notes of the expert’s visit to your local store. Serrated knives are preferred by most people because it is very convenient to use and doesn’t get dull too often, unlike other knives that gets dull easily.